Get behind the wheel with this brilliant 4x4 experience with Graythwaite Adventure. With careful planning and consideration for the natural landscape, we’ve designed the Lake District’s only off-road course with BORDA (British Off Road Driving Association) accreditation and BORDA qualified instructors providing expert tuition. Not only that, guests enjoy unrivalled views from the summit. We love to teach first time drivers and improve the skills of seasoned pros alike. Whether you're a solo traveller or a party of 4, you'll have your own vehicle and dedicated qualified instructor.
- Your one hour experience involves one hour of driving.
- Each vehicle comfortably holds 4 adults who can either share the driving or, as with children, just enjoy the ride.
- If you’d like longer, simply book a two hour experience or multiple vehicles for one hour.
- For parties of 5 or 6, we do offer a 7-seater so please ensure you let us know in the notes section of the booking process so we can assign the right Land Rover.
Our vehicles; for us there is only one 4×4 – the original and best – the Land Rover Defender. In Land Rover’s own words off-roading is all about going ‘as slow as possible and as fast as necessary’ and believe us this is the most fun you’ll ever have at 5mph!
Following recent controversy within the National Park and UNESCO World Heritage Site it’s important to point out that we avoid green lanes and this activity is carried out in an environmentally sustainable way on private land on a course accredited by the British Off Road Driving Association and the IOPD, that is constantly maintained.
What to expect.
- Upon arrival at our 4x4 and Shooting Lodge, please make use of our free parking before meeting one of our friendly instructors.
- Following introductions, you'll jump in the Land Rover for the 2 minute drive to the start of the off-road course.
- During the short drive, your instructor will discuss any previous off-road driving experience, any reservations or apprehensions and your aims for the adventure.
- Once at the course, your instructor will talk through the manual controls, sustainable driving techniques and safety considerations before you get behind the wheel.
- Then it's over to you, with your instructor in the passenger seat you'll negotiate steep inclines, jaw dropping descents, epic leans, water crossings and all with unrivalled views across Lake Windermere.
- Drive time is one hour and will be shared between the number of drivers in your party.
Guests to Graythwaite Adventure can enjoy a variety of other awesome land and water-based experiences; clay pigeon shooting, archery, axe throwing, canoeing, kayaking, paddleboarding, bushcraft, RIB boat tours and more.
Experience : Explore : Escape.